Map Quest

Style :

I love decorating with vintage maps. Perhaps I've got a bit of wanderlust, but to me there's no better way to capture the spirit of some place you are dying to go or a place that you hold dear to your heart. Rather than investing in a souvenir that will end up collecting dust, why not come home and order a vintage map of your destination, frame it, and hang it in a special place? I've tried to collect vintage maps of every place I've ever lived in for more than a month. Not only do I love them as art, but each time I glance at them I'm reminded of wonderful times those places have shown me.





There are a few approaches to decorating vintage maps. You can buy one huge map, like shown below, and use it to create a striking focal point in a room.












Another trend we're seeing is blowing up a detailed city map, cutting it into sections, and framing them individually. This creates a cohesive gallery wall.












via Little Green Notebook







I also like the idea of collecting maps of varying styles and sizes, framing them, and displaying them together.















Wallpapering with maps is a great idea for a child's room, or perhaps for a powder room?







And finally, we're seeing  quite a few of the vintage pull down maps- the kind used in schools- to add a jolt of color to rooms. These maps have more of a "retro" vibe, but I think they'd be perfect for a child's room, or compliment Anthropologie-esque decor, don't you think? 












Do you have any vintage maps in your home? Any that symbolize the places you've been or want to go? 

No comments:

Post a comment on: Map Quest

Save Map Quest on social network:

Style tags edition Map Quest © 2011 |