Hump Day

Style : I realize that in terms of the days of the week, "hump day" was really yesterday. Today is a different kind of hump day- that's right, we're talking about camels. I never thought I'd be typing a sentence like this, but don't you think camels are sort of "in" right now? It all started with the Sex and the City 2 stills that have recently been released. Carrie et al seem to be having a fine old time on their camel ride in the desert.





Sex and the City 2










Then, of course, this antique camel saddle turned up in the most recent issue of Lonny. Charlotte Moss protege Sean McNally snagged this saddle at a flea market and now stacks it with books as a chic footstool of sorts.  










From what I can understand, the rounded wooden ends of the saddle sit on each of the camel's humps, then the rider sits on the cushion in the middle. So I think. But I'm no camel riding expert!










The Bonanno blog has a great feature about how they recovered a tattered cushion from a camel saddle in a scrumptious brown gator fabric. 







Recently I got lucky at a thrift store and came across a vintage camel saddle for the bargain price of $6.99. Something tells me the store had NO idea what it was. The cushion is so worn that it's paper thin, but I love the character. For the warmer months I now have it in front of my fireplace to add a focal point to the black slate hearth.










You can also find camel saddles on Ebay







Of course, here's a totally different take on the camel- one that I just love- the camel garden stool.





Camel garden seat, Trocadero


A Ceramic Camel, Garden Seat, Table, Possibly Italian





They used to have this camel stool at Mermaid Hut but it looks like it's out of stock. I bet it's Two's Company, don't you think?







Textile designer Virginia Johnson makes shawls and pillows with a fresh camel motif.















What do you think- are you a fan of the camels? Or will you just stick to the color? 





***Update***





We just had to post these pictures sent in by MoS reader Nancy, who recently went on a trip to Turkey (jealous!) and did a little camel riding herself. Looking good up there, Nancy!













No comments:

Post a comment on: Hump Day

Save Hump Day on social network:

Style tags edition Hump Day © 2011 |