Who really cares about SS11 trends?

Who really cares about SS11 trends?

Style :
Trends are a funny sort of thing.  They can exist for aeons on one side of the globe and spread suddenly with one forward-thinking celebrity outing.  Many can survive the magazines telling us otherwise (I'm looking at you skinny jeans) and others don't really appeal to me in reality.  Although the stores are beginning to bring in new season stock, I'll probably be wearing my Winter faithfuls for quite some time, but gradually things will start to evolve. I'm going to try and combine my New Year Style Resolutions into a sort of new season trend post; I definitely want to try and make the most of what I already have but keep my eye on a few special new pieces.  When the Spring shows were going on, I channelled my inner Anna Wintour and picked my favourite looks from most of the collections using my instinct to make up my own trends.  Instead of just posting the 500 odd photos as a mish-mash, I've decided to break the catwalk shows down into the inherent elements I love within fashion from season to season.  Whether its Summer, Winter, Autumn or Spring, nothing changes not a thing.

Victoria Beckham, Preen, Jonathan Saunders, Rodarte, Basso and Brooke, Holly Fulton, House of Holland, Jaeger, Felder Felder, Versus, Zucca, David Koma


I'm always a fan of a feminine silhouette, whether it be a skater dress or shirt tucked into a high-waisted skirt.  Although I already have a fair few ways of creating this look, I'm always on the hunt for a full skirted dress with the perfect print and possible cut-out details.  I don't ask for much do I?!  Until I find it, I'm going to try and layer skirts over dresses for a mismatched look and utilise my collection of bodysuits.

Kimberley Ovitz, Band of Outsiders, Gary Graham, Viktor and Rolf, Margaret Howell, Alexander Wang, Michael van der Ham, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Kaelen, Lanvin, Margaret Howell, Sharon Wauchob 

Going against what i just said, I'm also a fan of all things baggy, too long on one side and drop-waisted, things that your mother would silently 'tut' at.  It's all about distorting the human body slightly, which isn't always totally flattering and perhaps man-repelling but I love to wear clothes that interest and intrigue me with their construction.  All Saints is often a fine example, but I'm going to concentrate on finding new ways to layer my asymmetric tops and skirt, maybe even knotting a few items like the Kaelen outfit above.


Peter Som, Honor, Phillip Lim, Timo Weiland, D&G, Meadham Kirchoff, Balenciaga, Wunderkind

A cute dress is all well and good, but I like to subvert it in some kind of way with quirky accessories and unusual tights.  I loved a lot of the Wunderkind collection, which is 'pretty' taken to the extremes with hyper-feminine hairstyles, bright full skirts and blood red lips.  I definitely want to try and inject a bit more colour into my wardrobe, as I'm always buying things in black and grey, so will be on the hunt for some new shorts that are a bit frivolous and impractical (preferably a realistic version of the Philip Lim laser-cut ones above) to team with buttoned-up shirts.  I also can't wait to wear my ankle socks with bare legs, as I only really started liking the look towards the end of summer.


Dolce and Gabbana, Unique, Band of Outsiders, Alberta Ferretti x2, Paul Smith, Erdem, Acne, Lyn Devon, Charles Anastase, Ann Sofie-Back, Rag & Bone

I own far too many sheer things already (most of them black, surprise, surprise), so I'm not looking to buy much in this area apart from something with a watercolour floral design.  I hoping Topshop will soon come up with a version of the red Erdem lace dress, which I could easily be tempted by but until then, a DIY skirt project is in order using some cheapy chiffon from the local market.

all weathers ss11
Helmut Lang, Margaret Howell, Michael Kors, Vivienne Westwood, Givenchy, Reed Krakoff, Comme des Garcons, Kimberley Ovitz
All images from Style.com or WWD

Finally, a jacket will definitely be needed to finish the look off.  I'm definitely on the hunt for the perfect trench coat to call my own (as my Mum isn't exactly forthcoming with lending me some of her vintage Burberry bargains) and to add some sophistication.  I also want to experiment with some new proportions featuring the jackets I have, as I always struggle finding the right style for longer skirts and dresses. 

What are you planning to wear this Spring?  I obviously won't need a new wardrobe, but I am looking to be a bit more resourceful and update some of the things I already have.  Do you have style principles that you tend to stick to from season to season? Let me know what you think of my made-up trends and whether you've created any of your own!

Follow on

No comments:

Post a comment on: Who really cares about SS11 trends?

Save Who really cares about SS11 trends? on social network:

Style tags edition Who really cares about SS11 trends? © 2011 |