Old vs New

Style :
I like old things.  I like new things.  But which is better?  There's only one way to find out, FIGHT!  Okay Harry Hill references aside, I feel as there's a constant battle in my wardrobe between the old favourites I love and the new purchases I'm still getting to know.  I'm the first to admit I'm a slight shopaholic, with the magpie-like tendencies of wanting to acquire new things but I also want to make more of what I already have and remember the reasons why I chose such items in the first place.  I think this will be my 2011 mantra and ultimately aid me in culling some of my forgotten items.  Let's see how I've fared in one of those very few and far between 'Outfits of the Week' posts, with pictures taken in between hermit-like days of dissertation writing.

hat polka dot skirt grey lace top

polka dot skirt grey lace top

close up panther ring

Friday
Hat - H&M
Cardigan - Charity Shop
Top - New Look
Bodysuit - Asos
Brogues - Office
Belt - Battersea Boot Fair
Jewellery - Brooklyn, Forever 21, Topshop

First outing with my new hat!  I do want to become a bit more of a hat person as I loved wearing my straw number I bought at the yard sale over the Summer.  I went for the brown version of this hat as it looked like it would suit this transitional sort of weather and also contrasts nicely with my hair.  The only problem is that it kept trying to blow away and I dropped my phone trying to rescue it!  Bad times!  The lace top is quite an old item I bought in New Look towards the end of 2009 and the skirt was purchased in New York back in June.  The 'Old vs New' rating is maybe about 6?  It's hard to define when exactly an item becomes old as my style seems to change frequently and certain clothes no longer seem relevant.  Does it matter whether you've had an item for several months or several years?

asos white top maxi dress

suede boots tattoo tights

Wednesday
Dress - The Scarlet Room
Tights - Urban Outfitters
Satchel - Tom Brown
Jewellery - Forever 21, Topshop, DIY

I think the oldest items in this outfit are the tights and dress bought in May and August respectively, but everything else is a lot more recent.  I layered another Asos bargain top (this colour sold out but it went down to £6) over the maxi dress to create a more layered look, which also harps at the anti-fit trend I mentioned earlier.  The problem with anti-fit is that it doesn't photograph very well (the main photo could have very well ended up being in the rejected folder), but in reality I felt perfectly fine and comfortable.  I've also had fun bonding with my new satchel; it's very fiddly to open but I love the simplicity of the design and authentic back-to-school feel.




tartan tights black brogues

Monday
Jacket, socks, necklace - Topshop
Dress - Asos
Brogues - Office
Tights - Calzedonia
Ring - Forever 21
Belt - Angels Sale

When I buy things, I like to have multiple ideas in mind as how to wear them and make each outfit different, which can be a challenge with this distinctive dress.  I find that what makes it look interesting are the tights and accessories I pair it with, so I reverted to my trusted tartan pair bought in September 2009.  Even though I have so many pairs of tights, I can always rely on this maroon pair to add a slight schoolgirl edge to an outfit so they're constantly being worn and washed.  The leather jacket is also rather old, bought in my pre-blogging days in October 2007 after my first ever student loan payment.  I think a lot of Asda Smartprice may have been eaten that month.

yellow asos dress grey blazer satchel
I wish I could take more pictures outside, all of my indoors ones have turned a bit blue.  I blame Flickr!  If only I were brave enough to take them in the shared garden...thanks to my friend Claire for taking these!

circle scarf horse necklace

Wednesday (again)
Jacket - East End Thrift Store
Circle Scarf - American Apparel
Dress - Asos
Tights, bracelet - Topshop (lace and green pair layered)
Shoes - Ebay
Satchel - Tom Brown
Jewellery - Forever 21
Nails - Models Own Purple Ash

I had to pop down to London randomly for the day and in a effort to look vaguely smart, yet still creative, I decided to wear my brand new Asos dress.  It's a truth result of the word-of-mouth phenomenon, I'd see it on Katie in blue, who'd previously seen Alex wear it at fashion week.  I think I  must have also seen it on this blogger and subconsciously put it to the back of my mind, before I saw it again on one of my frequent Asos visits and decided to buy.  I don't often wear a lot of brights and I know I should really make the most of the whole skin-tone-contrast thing, so I decided to go for the aptly named 'oil yellow' shade.  Unfortunately I managed to spill my Chipotle on it and without the disguising virtues of black, it was visible for all to see later on.  Now where's my Stain Devils?  The blazer is the oldest item in this post bought way back in April 2009.

dissertation is complete

I'm so happy I finally handed my dissertation in!  I apologise for all of my Twitter rants about it, it's quite tricky to write academically when you're not used to it and I've a new found respect for all the fashion marketing students (as well as any student who does an essay based subject).  My topic was the whole 'Bloggers as Brands' aspect and it was definitely interesting to research (aka read about 500 blogs) and get my teeth into the whole phenomenon.  My conclusion was slightly rushed in the end everything got a bit muddled with numerous articles popping up at the last minute; I could've gone on for ever but only had 7,000 words in which to do so!  Despite the crazy amounts of Harvard referencing (had to pop Elisabeth and Disney Roller Girl in my bibliography, very surreal), I'm glad I chose this as my topic as it's something very personal to me.  I should've asked you this earlier, but do you think fashion bloggers are the new fashion brands?

Thanks for all the comments on the previous Tumblr related post, but don't fret; I'm not jumping ship!

Follow on

No comments:

Post a comment on: Old vs New

Save Old vs New on social network:

Style tags edition Old vs New © 2011 |